Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Sunshine State

(I wrote this last night, but couldn't post it until now.)

Dearest friends and family,

I am happy to report that my Dad and I are alive and doing very well. When we biked into Tallahassee yesterday, it was a balmy 77 degrees. Tonight, however, the overnight low is 24 degrees. Yikes. Fortunately, we are staying with the Sossong/Blessing family. Kevin is an architect and his attention to detail is apparent throughout their beautiful modern home. In addition to the shower and shelter this family has provided, my belly is filled with Susan's ginger pancakes and mango sorbet. As I type this, I am listening to opera music while I sip the ginger tea their nine-year-old son prepared for me. He even served it on a tray. Despite the fact my cell phone endured the wrath of a washing machine yesterday, I am very happy right now.

Recent happenings:

The other day we left the Panella family and headed from Poplarville to Vancleave, Miss-ippi. After arriving at the ridiculously over-priced campsite ($30/tent site!) my Dad and I had two options:
1. Eat ramen, just the two of us
2. Call the Holy Spirit Catholic Church we passed on our way into town to see if anyone could provide us with transportation to their Friday night fish fry.

We chose the latter. We were just a couple miles away from the church, but it was too far to walk in the dark. Bonnie, the lovely and kind secretary at the church, agreed to take us to the fish fry. When she pulled up in her minivan she inquired, "Did someone call a taxi?" We thoroughly enjoyed the company of those we met. Great conversations.

Took a ferry in Alabama.

Celebrated my parents' 28th wedding anniversary. Impressive, isn't it? At exactly one o'clock, my Dad called my Mom to repeat, "I do." Isn't that sweet? Meanwhile, I was chatting with an old man who asked, "Are y'all on your honeymoon?" No, that's my Dad.

Biked past many new homes and hotels along the Gulf of Mexico. In my head I recalled the song we would sing in Sunday School, "The wise man built his house upon the rock." While the intended interpretation might be metaphorical, I believe that God was giving some literal advice about where one should built his/her home.

Spent a night in Milton, FL. On this evening, we camped outside the trailer of one of our warmshowers.org contacts. Fun facts about our host Julianne:

1. We talked about egg sales. She suggested I move to New York so I can sell my eggs. At first, I thought, hmmm... I don't have any chickens and I don't know anything about egg laying. Then, I realized the conversation wasn't about poultry.
2. Her dream job is a job where she can wear a tiara. She wants to either own a thrift shop or a no-kill shelter for rottweilers
3. She says that drug dealers are the major employers in town.
4. In exchange for letting us camp in her yard, we told her we would take her out to dinner. She chose Milton's "China Buffet" and she explained that if she won the lottery, she would eat at the China Buffet everyday. No, she said, she would have China Buffet delivered to her trailer everyday.

Due to the flat ground and decent riding conditions, we did a couple more centuries! Whahoo! Meanwhile, we were chased by a billion dogs in Louisiana and Mississippi. When we encounter these dogs we bike faster, I often grab my water bottle and squirt it at the dog or we yell, "Go home!" One one morning, we were chased by a pack of puppy-size dogs. There were at least 10 teeny-tiny dogs who chased us for at least a quarter of a mile. We laughed out loud.

Last night we stayed with the Floyd family on the west side of Tallahassee. In addition to the parents, Gene and Bonnie, they have five boys, approximately eight cats, one dog, one fish and one ferret. Their house is full of energy and motion. One son is anxious to join the Air Force so we heard about his preparations over a delicious spaghetti dinner.

We are about 300 miles from our final destination (although we might bike down to Orlando). Thank you for your continual prayers and encouragement. I miss you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are almost done!! Yay!! Cant wait to hear more about it. Ive loved keeping updated through your blog. Enjoy the last few days of your trip!

kevino said...

Hi Klosterwoman,
I laughed out load reading about a pack of little dogs chasing you two.
there's a 1/2 mile stretch on ditch creek road with no pavement. i'm going to get dale to ride back and forth on it with me.
we had a great ski to granite hot springs saying goodbye to the wachobs. we'll miss them. We're looking forward to your return and hearing more stories! Soak up the sun!!!